The village is located on the morainic hills in the south of Lake Garda, overlooking the surrounding plains; due to its location, it was the site of military buildings and patrician villas with century-old parks.
It was originally called Summa Campanea. It is believed that during the imperial period, it was a vicus in a good climatic and strategic location, close to the important Roman roads called Gallica and Postumia.
Over the centuries, there passed armies and then dominations: Romans, Huns, Lombards, Franks, till the submission to the king of Italy Berenger, who built a castle in a high position, overlooking the plain (now chiesa di San Rocco) that for many centuries was the public square where the Vicinia gathered and did their most important business.
According to the legend told by Thomas of Celano, in 1220 Saint Francis passed through Sommacampagna, and at the Oratory of Santa Maria da Monte (now Madonna di Monte) constituted a first community of friars.
Many historical events occurred on the territory: among them, the battles of the Risorgimento of the first and third Wars of Independence on the hills of Custoza, where there is the Ossuary (Ossario).
Since World War II, Sommacampagna has experienced a boom that has displaced the town towards the plain. Numerous accommodations, wineries and restaurants.