Church of the Disciplina

Description

The oratory of the Visitation (or Oratory of the Discipline) was donated to the Brotherhood of Disciplinati by Count Giorgio Maffei in 1499.

Above the portal the baroque façade bears a low relief representing the visitation of the Virgin Mary to Saint Elizabeth.

Above the central altar there is a precious painting by Orazio Farinati, representing the visitation of the Virgin Mary to Saint Elizabeth with St. Joseph and St. Zachary. On the background the coat of arms of Villafranca can clearly be seen.

 

The “Lamentation over the Dead Christ” is kept in the crypt: nine wooden statues dating back to the XV century and four wooden statues of the XVIII century representing Jesus, the characters of the Passion of Christ and the Roman soldiers.

How to get

Motorway A22 (Brennero-Modena): take the exit to Nogarole rocca, then follow the sign for Villafranca di Verona, town centre. The Church is only a few metres away from the Castello Scaligero.

From the airport Valerio Catullo: take the “Tangenziale” road (orbital road) and follow the sign for Villafranca di Verona, town centre. The Church is only a few metres away from the Castello Scaligero.

 

From Verona: take the “Tangenziale” road (orbital road) and follow the sign for Villafranca di Verona, town centre. The Church is only a few metres away from the Castello Scaligero.

 

From Mantova: take the “Strada statale 62 della Cisa and follow the sign for Villafranca di Verona, town centre. The Church is only a few metres away from the Castello Scaligero.

 

Contatta le Terre del Custoza

*
*
*
*