Courtyard Bagolina , on the hills near Custoza, was built in the first half of the XVII century. It currently hosts a winery owned by the Checchini family.
The courtyard has been refurbished around the year 2000, both inside and outside. While refurbishing, an old underground cellar has been discovered, together with a secret underground passage. These two elements have obviously increased its historical value.
The whole courtyard had a great strategic importance during the first and the second Risorgimento wars (1848-1859): during the first Risorgimental war a crucial battle between the Piemontese Army and the Austrians Army was fought on the premises of the courtyard.
Piemontese soldiers saw strategic value in Courtyard Bagolina and asked the owners – the Palamidese family – to allow the use of the premises for the forthcoming battle against the Austrian Army. The Piemontese soldiers then managed to escape – and consequently save their lives – through a secret underground passage that back then leaded out into the open countryside.
The underground passage was unsealed a few years ago and can be walked through for a few dozen meters. During the excavations many agricultural tools were found.