Sumptuous Venetian villa, it was the summer dwelling of the Counts Maffei, appointed gentlemen of the feud of Valeggio and Monzambano by the Doge of Venice in 1649. They invested their wealth in the Vicariato of Valeggio, purchasing agricultural grounds building mills, on the shores of the river Mincio.
The house was designed and realized upon the project of the architect Vincenzo Pellesina (1637 -1700), who was inspired by the famous projects of Palladio, following the typical linearity of the neoclassic style.
In the central body, four ionic columns frame a vast loggia featuring a ceiling decorated with frescos, realized by Biagio Falcieri.
In the tympanum, surrounded by pinnacles, a headstone recalls the ancient investiture of the Maffeis.
During the Age of Risorgimento the villa was inhabited by the emperor Franz Joseph of Austria and, later, it became the headquarters of the emperor Napoleon III.
From piazza Carlo Alberto, the main square of the village, along via Murari, after approximately 250 metres, turn into via Circonvallazione Maffei.
From Borghetto, turn right into via Giuseppe Verdi, from where you will see it.